Here are some very interesting facts about our citizenry:
- Percentage of over-25 year-olds with a bachelor’s degree: 32.5%
- Percentage of over-25 year-olds with a graduate degree: 12%
- The six-year graduation rate for those attending four-year colleges is 60% and is 57% for males and 62% for females. The more selective the institution, the higher the six-year graduation rate.
- Median household income: $56,516
- Median male income: $51,212; Median female income: $40,742
- 43.1 million people live below the poverty threshold, or 13.1% of the U.S. population
- The poverty threshold depends on household size and number of dependent children. In 2015 the threshold for a family of four was about $24,000 and was about $12,000 for a single individual.
- 62.7% of Americans live in a city as opposed to rural. These cities only occupy 3.5% of the total land area in the U.S.
- The median age in the U.S. is 37.8 years.
- Each year in the U.S. there are about 12.5 births per 1,000 people and about 8.2 deaths per 1,000 people.
- In the U.S., male life expectancy at birth is 75.9 years and female life expectancy at birth is 80.9 years.
This is called an age pyramid: