By far the brightest light on earth is the Sky Beam at the top of the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas. As you may be aware, the Luxor Hotel is a pyramid and the Sky Beam is a solid cord of white light that emanates from the pinnacle of the pyramid. Here’s a few facts about the Sky Beam:
- It’s so bright that it is visible to aircraft over 275 miles away! Pilots use the beam as a navigation tool.
- According to National Geographic, the Sky Beam is strong enough to read a book by 10 miles out in space.
- The beam is rated at 42.3 billion candelas (equivalent to 130,000 100 watt light bulbs).
- The beam is created by 39 xenon lights that are each 7,000 watts.
- The 39 lights are in a room about 50 feet below the top of the pyramid and when all the lights are on the room heats to about 300 degrees Fahrenheit. The lights are directed by mirrors to create the beam.
- The Sky Beam has its own ecosystem. The light and heat of the beam attracts a massive amount of moths. The moths attract bats who like to dine on the moths. The bats, in turn, attract owls who eat bats.
Wiil be so nice to see Nov 2022 .Barb