I am giving a talk at Washington University today to MBA students. One of the topics is the nature of change and trends. In preparation I researched great products and innovations that affect our lives but didn’t exist 10 and 20 years ago. Would love any additions you think of.
Things that didn’t exist 20 years ago (1998)
- iPhone or any smartphones
- Wifi (barely existed)
- Google (founded in late 1998)
- Any social media (no Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc)
- PayPal (founded in December 1998)
- Kindle and other e-readers
Things that didn’t exist 10 years ago (2008)
- iPads and tablet computers
- GPS on phones
- Google Chrome browser (now has 60%+ market share)
- Kickstarter and other crowdfunding
- Lyft and Uber
- Square, Venmo, etc
- Blockchain technology and bitcoin
- Waze and other traffic sensitive GPS
- 4G LTE
This was helpful. Thanks!
Looked for this list to present to my granddaughter for her 20th birthday
She will wonder how we survived!!
Similar concept with a different approach:
The mindset list is fascinating
Here are a few you might want to consider:
RFID Payment systems
Human Genome Completion
DNA evidence gathering initiated
4G cell phone capability
Immersion blenders and maybe food processors(sp)?
Great lists. A bit mind-spinning! Possible additions are Fitness Trackers and society-wide attention deficit disorder (due to the lists).
Now, Peter, that made me smile. Thanks.